Kira Liss, BSW, BA, CD(DONA), began her journey into birth work in 2012. Her passion for reproductive health and justice led her to her initial DONA International Birth Doula Training in 2012. As Kira completed her certification, she re-established herself in Toronto and taught French at a Montessori school. In 2015, she took a 200-Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training at Kula Annex. Soon after, she began her Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training through Blooma. She has since continued her Prenatal Yoga studies with Sasha Padron at Yogaspace and in 2017 attended a Birthing from Within Mentor & Doula workshop with Virginia Bobro. Kira is currently cross certifying as a Childbirth Educator with Doula Training Canada.
Kira has a wide range of experiences that inform her approach to support work and teaching. With a a background in community work and a degree in social work, Kira has spent many years examining the concepts and consequences of power and privilege, and how they influence and shape access to care, support and services. By dedicating time towards self-reflection and understanding how oppression creates and intersects with vulnerability, Kira has adapted an approach that is firmly committed to social justice.
As such, Kira’s approach encompasses individualized, compassionate, unbiased and non-judgemental support.
She strongly believes in working from an equity focused perspective, meeting each individual where they are at and acknowledging their unique experiences and history. As a queer person, Kira is especially passionate about supporting queer, trans and non-binary individuals and families.
Through active listening and holistic approaches, Kira works hard to support every family discover their potential as parents. Her attentive manner and warm, calm energy aims to offer families a sense of comfort and confidence in their journey. Kira grew up in the Annex and currently resides in the west end of Toronto. She loves riding her bike around the city, spending long periods of time reading on her patio and listening to podcasts.
“There is little in life as intimate as giving birth. It is a beautiful, raw, and vulnerable time. Choosing someone to join you (and your birth companions, should there be some) is not a simple task. With Kira Liss, however, it is an easy one.”
-Lisa, Ashley & Will
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, York University, 2019
- Holding Space for Pregnancy Loss, Amy Wright Glenn, 2018
- Introductory Birthing from Within Mentor & Doula Training, 2017
- Infant Sleep Educator, Bebomia & Brandie Hadfield, 2016
- Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training Module II, Yogaspace, 2016
- Core Confidence Specialist, Bellies Inc, 2016
- Hypnobirthing for Birth Professionals, Karen McWilliam, 2016
- Communication Skills for Breastfeeding Professionals, La Leche League, 2016
- Infant CPR, 2HEALTH, 2016
- Prenatal Yoga Teacher Training, Blooma, 2016
- Acupressure for Birth, Toronto AcuBirthing, 2015
- Breastfeeding for Birth Professionals, Timéa Slazay, 2015
- 200-Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training, Kula Annex, 2015
- DONA International Birth Doula Training, Mélissa Cowl, 2012